4.08.2006

Nice to Meet You Anyway

I'm quitting my job at the bank this week. I have to, it's just too much drama keeping me up at night wondering if I should be fired, how I'm going to meet my sales goal, the stupid things Jorge says to me. It's ridiculous. I should back up a bit.
Okay, so I work at a bank. Last quarter was a really rough quarter for me academically, and I decided to just take most of the quarter off of work to focus as much as possible on school. So, naturally, the bank took my keys from me (no point in me having them as I wasn't going to work; also for security reasons). But this quarter, I wanted to work just one day a week so I could make some money and still study my ass off. But they didn't give my my keys back! So, with no keys I have no access to cash (to give cash back to any customers). But that's not all: I'm not even logged onto the system, so I can't even do transactions that involve no cash (check deposits, etc.)!!! So, what else does a teller do if she can't...tell (I have no idea if that's the correct term for what I do). I literally just walk around and try to talk to uninterested customers about our free checking accounts. And my luck, though it never was all that great, has become worse. Today for example, I'm out there for six hours (do you know what it's like to stand in heels for six hours??) taking complete shit from really rude people, and I get ONE referral (from a person who is already an account-holder, I found out later). Courtney, on the other hand, the most annoying pagal girl ever, stands out there (by out there, I mean in the aisles of the grocery store that the bank is in) for about 10 minutes, comes back and says,"Somebody wants to come in and open a CD in a few minutes, and I think somebody else wants to open a checking account tomorrow."

My blood boiled.

Shannon (my supervisor today) just looked at me with this look that said one of two things:
1) Dood that sucks for you, I'm sorry. But what happened? You used to be so good at talking to people and convincing them to come talk to me...or,
2) Why are you still employed here? You're existence is completely pointless.

And Shannon's the one I like.
Then, last week, Jorge (one of my two bosses) opened the branch with me. He wouldn't stop taunting me and just pointing out the most menial little things about my situation. He has this weird habit of asking me (only me) the most random questions (Do you believe in the Holy Trinity? What does it mean to you?) and making you feel like the stupidest person on the face of the earth (I'm just realizing that I'm quite mad right now and some of the things I say might have a tinge of incompetence attached to them; you can decide for yourself which things those are). The one thing that makes me mad about Jorge (not in the Paul Reiser/Helen Hunt way) is when he questions and insults my intelligence and integrity. Oh, don't worry, I'll give you examples of both.
Intelligence
So, everybody that goes to Davis knows that you're supposed to study 3 hours per unit that you're taking. So, if you have a 3 unit class, you should study 9 hours/ week for that class. Well, I'm taking 15 units right now, a normal load for the quarter system, which translates into a full time job, except studying. So I mention this system to Jorge how I'm supposed to study about 10 hrs/day outside of class to do well. And this is what he says: "Are you really failing that bad that you need to study 10 hours a day?"
Now for those of you that know me, you know that I tolerate quite a bit from people(ahem assholes, ahem) like him. The one thing that I will not tolerate is a questioning or insult of my intelligence. Of course, as I was about to rebuke, he turned away, I had customers, phone calls, coworker chat for the rest of the day, and he went into the office and worked there for the rest of the day. By the way, Jorge never went to college.
Integrity
Now I know he was just joking (Pardon me while I eat a banana. Okay, done. Thanks for waiting.) the first time. I let it go the first time. The second time, I didn't laugh, but smiled back. I can tolerate things like this, remember? But as I was leaving for the day ( at 2:15 pm) I said goodbye to Jorge, having forgotten about the earlier events. He then took my hand, and said, very sweetly, and very sarcastically, " I'd like to thank you for your hard work and your contribution to the success of this branch." I wanted so badly to just slap the 10 pores off his face. But it was time for me to go home, and nothing would keep me there a minute longer. So I just smiled back, again, said goodbye, again, and left, taking deep breaths the whole way to the car. In the car, I broke down. I didn't cry, but I did everything else. Beating the steering wheel, the ceiling, pulling my seatbelt down so fast I still have a slight burn on my neck. I had major road rage on the way home; I felt like I was from New Jersey. I've been thinking about the way he treated me all week, and have come to this abrupt conclusion:
I gotta get outta there.

No comments: